We are committed to putting our customers first and aim to provide the best possible service. However, if you have a complaint, we will deal with It quicky, efficiently and to your satisfaction.

We want to make communicating us with easy and we offer many ways of getting in touch with us, including online live chat, by telephone, email, letter or face to face.

This page explains how you can contact IWNL if you are unhappy with any aspect of our service and how we will aim to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction.

How we will deal with your complaint

Illustration of some hands, holding hearts and stars.

We will investigate your complaint to determine:

  • How your complaint occurred
  • What is required to resolve your complaint and stop it reoccurring
  • Whether we have failed against our own standards of service and whether a payment is required under this scheme

We will respond to your complaint via your preferred communication method, which will include a full outcome of our investigation: including an apology if justified; clarification of what has gone wrong; and how we will put things right. This will also include information on how to escalate your complaint if you remain unhappy.

Close up of a woman typing on a smart phone.

Our complaints procedure is divided into 4 steps:

Step 1
Initial Complaint. Contact our customer services team and we will try and resolve your problem as soon as possible. If the complaint is complex, we may take a little longer to provide an outcome, however we will keep you updated on our progress.

Step 2
Escalation. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of our investigation, we will escalate your complaint internally.

Step 3
Independent Advice. If you remain unhappy with the way we have handled your complaint, you can seek independent advice. The voice for water consumers (known as CCW) will work on your behalf.

Step 4
Independent Advice – WATRS. Following CCW’s review of your case, you may have the right to refer your case to WATRS (known as the Water Redress Scheme) who will make a final decision on your case.

Independent advice contacts


CCW is the independent voice for water consumers in England and Wales. They help customers resolve complaints against their water company, while providing free advice and support.

c/o First floor
Victoria Square House
Birmingham, B2 4AJ

Telephone: 0300 034 2222
Website: www.ccwater.org.uk


WATRS is The Water Redress Scheme, who is an independent adjudication service to resolve disputes between customer’s and water companies.

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
70 Fleet Street

Telephone: 0800 008 6909
Website: www.cedr.com/consumer/watrs/

Our response times

Making a complaint by telephone

IWNL makes every effort to answer calls promptly and resolve your complaint quickly. If the person who received your call is unable to assist, we will arrange for a call back to take place as soon as possible.

If your complaint is complex and requires further investigation, we will let you know. We aim to respond to all complaints made in accordance with this procedure within 10 working days.

Making a written complaint

We aim to deal with all written complaints within five working days either by telephone or in writing. However, if your complaint requires further investigation, we will make you aware of the reasons why, and aim to respond within 10 working days.

Making a complaint in person

If you do wish to approach a member of staff working in the area, you are also able to do so, who will refer your complaint to our customer services team who will be in touch.

If your complaint is complex, and requires further investigation, we will let you know. We aim to respond to all complaints made in accordance with this procedure within 10 working days.

Complaints from customers for whom English is not their first language

We will always try to deal with a customer for whom English is not their first language in a way that makes communication easy. The arrangements necessary to enable this may mean that it takes longer to handle these complaints.

If you would like a full copy of our Complaints Code of Practice, please download it here.