Skip to content

If you can't find the answer to your question in our FAQs get in touch using our contact form.

Click on the questions to view the answers.

How do I detect if I have a leak?

Signs of a leak include:

  • Higher-than-usual meter readings
  • Damp patches around your property
  • Areas in your garden where plants or grass continue to grow through a dry spell
  • Loss of water pressure
  • The sound of running water in your property when none is being used

To detect a leak, follow the steps below

  1. Turn off all your appliances in your property which use water and all of your taps to ensure no water is being used.
  2. If it is safe to do so, take a look at the silver dial in the middle of your water meter:
  3. If your dial is spinning when everything is turned off then this could indicate you have a leak

If you have an internal leak, it is your responsibility to get it fixed. It is important you repair the leak as soon as reasonably possible, as you may be eligible for a leakage allowance.

What should I do if I have a leak?

Internal leaks

If you find a leak within your property it is important to get in touch with us on our free leak detection line: 0800 0720174 as soon as possible and let us know. If the leak is anywhere within your property boundary you are responsible for repairing it; IWNL advise you find a regulated approved plumber. You can find a plumber here.

Leaks on the service pipe

Where your leak is identified as being on your service pipe, we will repair or replace free of charge providing it is accessible and does not pass under any structure. We will aim to make the repair within 7 days.

Do I have to fix the leak?

If the leak occurs external to the boundary of your property, IWNL are responsible for fixing it. Legally you are responsible for repairing leaks occurring within the boundary of your property.

For more information please see our Code of Practice on Leakage.

Responsibility of pipe work can be seen in the below diagram.

If you think you have a leak on your supply pipe, contact us as soon as possible on 0800 0720174 so we can offer you advice and help you repair the leak.

What if I spot a leak in the street?

Please don't ignore it - ring us straight away on 02920 028 711. This line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I live in a rented property - do I still need to fix the leak?

The homeowner is responsible for maintaining the internal pipe works and the service pipe up to the boundary of the property. Even though you don't legally own the supply pipe, you still have a legal responsibility to help stop the leak. Please contact your landlord so they can take immediate action.